Registration open for Nov. 7 Southwest Broadcast Newsroom Workshopposted on 9.22.2015
TAB’s annual Southwest Broadcast Newsroom Workshop will take place Saturday, Nov. 7, 2015, at Austin’s new downtown JW Marriott hotel.
Lone Star Emmy nominees will be announced later this week on Sept. 25.
Why not make it a two-fer weekend by attending both, especially when it’s so convenient?
TAB has lined up five nationally recognized newsroom strategists for the day-long newsroom workshop:
- Boyd Huppert and Jonathan Malat of KARE-TV Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN
- Al Tompkins of the Poynter Institute, St. Petersburg, FL
- Deborah Potter, NewsLab, Washington, DC
- Kevin Benz, iMedia Strategies (past RTDNA chairman), Austin, TX
We’ll also have sessions featuring standout professionals from Texas TV newsrooms as well as Texas media law experts.
In all, there are more than 20 sessions being presented at the workshop.
- critical thinking skills
- reporting on stories in which race is a key component
- use of social media in journalism
- broadcast newswriting for reporters
- newscast producing
- compelling storytelling
- effective use of sound and script
- effective interviewing techniques
- tips for telling non-visual stories
- enterprise reporting: finding the stories and information others miss
- Texas’ newsgathering-related laws
- six steps to stronger stories
- ethical decision making in a social media world
- investigative journalism
- developing and maintaining sources
- verifying the facts in political advertising or campaign claims
- essentials of captivating video journalism
- and much more!
TAB member station employee registration is just $55 and includes lunch.
Registration increases to $70 starting Oct. 12, so sign up now.
Sponsors of this year’s newsroom workshop are the Texas Associated Press Broadcasters and the Lone Star Chapter, National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences.
Questions? Contact TAB's Michael Schneider or call (512) 322-9944.
« Back to Latest News