FCC Commissioner O’Rielly to Keynote TAB Breakfastposted on 7.08.2019
- Board Elections Ballots Out, Voting Ends July 29
FCC Commissioner Michael O’Rielly will join Texas broadcasters at the TAB Show Aug. 7-8 and participate in the policy keynote conversation with TAB Past Chairman Ben Downs at the Leadership Breakfast on Thursday. O’Rielly, who has pushed hard for deregulatory efforts at the FCC – especially on the outdated children’s television rules – will be the first commissioner to speak at a TAB Show in several years. The event’s timing typically conflicts with the FCC’s August meeting.
The Republican commissioner joined the FCC in 2013 after serving as a policy advisor in the Office of the Senate Republican Whip under U.S. Senator John Cornyn of Texas following a long string of Senate and House appointments beginning in 1994.
Working closely with Chairman Ajit Pai, O’Rielly has been a reliable champion for streamlining outmoded regulations and accelerating commission decision-making processes. For several years he has targeted children’s television programming rules as being ripe for modernization.
The Leadership Breakfast where the commissioner will speak also features the presentation of TAB’s Bonner McLane Public Service Awards to six Radio and TV stations for exemplary community service efforts, as well as the Lone Star Leader Awards to six other stations for their exceptional support of TAB’s Public Education Partnership program.
Board Elections: Ballots Out, Voting Ends July 29
All TAB members last week received the final ballot for races in their respective market categories that includes a recommended slate of officers for 2019-20. Voting ends July 29 and results will be announced at the Annual Business Meeting during the TAB Show Aug. 8.
The slate of officers is listed below. Paul Gleiser, owner/operator of his Tyler stations, would advance to the Executive Committee after being term-limited in his Medium Market Radio seat. All others are recommended to advance to the next office.
Slate of Officers
- Chairman: Gayle Kiger, KCEN-TV Waco
- Vice Chairman: Mark Krieschen, Cox Media Group Houston
- Treasurer: Mark Masepohl, Univision Dallas-Fort Worth
- Secretary: Paul Gleiser, KTBB / KYZS / KRWR Tyler-Longview
- Past Chairman: Sarah Frazier, Entercom Houston
- The complete ballot is outlined below. Director nominees are vying for one seat unless otherwise noted.
Director Nominees (* Denotes Incumbent)
Large Market TV – Place 2
- Brad Ramsey, WFAA Dallas-Fort Worth
- Eric Lassberg, KXAN/KNVA/KBVO Austin*
Other Market TV – Place 3
- David Candelaria, KTSM El Paso*
- Luis Villarreal, KGNS/KYLX/KVTV/KXNU Laredo
At-Large TV – Place 1
- Adam Chase,
- Brandy Sanchez, KAMR/KCIT/KCPN Amarillo
Large Market Radio – Place 4 (Unopposed, Other Nominees Withdrew)
- Tami Honesty, KBFB/KZMJ Dallas-Fort Worth
Medium Market Radio – Place 4 (Three Candidates, Two Seats)
- Evan Armstrong, iHeart Media Bryan-College Station, Corpus Christi, Waco-Temple-Killeen
- Rodney Brown, KEYS/KZFM/KKBA Corpus Christi*
- Ben Downs,
Small Market Radio – Place 3
- Steve Eberhart, KGAF Gainesville*
- Mark Grubbs, Kerrville
- Ishmael Johnson,
- Jerrod Knight, KETR Commerce*
- Armando Ibanez, KTAI Corpus Christi
Retired/Pioneer (Golden Mic Club)
- Mary Mike Hatcher
- Mike Wenglar*
- Ted Wrenn
- Doug Ferber, DEFcom Advisors – Dallas
- Danielle Brower, Learfield – Jefferson City, MO
Questions? Contact TAB’s Oscar Rodriguez or call (512) 322-9944.
« Back to Latest News