Deadline looms for public service/news coverage awards submissionsposted on 3.30.2015
- Leadership awards nominations also due May 1
TAB will honor up to six radio and television stations for exemplary community service, including news coverage, addressing a significant local need or concern in the past year at TAB’s Annual Convention Aug. 5-6 in Austin. The event is the largest state broadcast gathering in the country.
The Bonner McLane Public Service Awards, named for TAB’s first executive director, come with a $500 cash prize and a $500 TAB voucher that can be used to offset registration fees for TAB programs or legal guides.
Stations must submit their entries electronically by May 1 for consideration. Entries must be based on efforts undertaken between May 1, 2014 and April 30, 2015. They will be judged according to market size as delineated by the awards entry form. Participation is limited to TAB member stations. 2014 Honorees
TAB also will present the Lone Star Leader Awards to stations that contributed the greatest number of spots and greatest airtime value to the NCSA program’s statewide public service campaigns, seven of which aired last year.
The NCSA program funds the bulk of TAB’s direct services to members. 2014 Honorees
Individual Leadership Awards
Nominations for Texas broadcasting’s top leadership awards also are due May 1. Nomination Form
Honors and qualifications include:
- Pioneer Broadcaster of the Year – 25+ years in broadcasting (substantial portion of career in Texas), extensive public service, historic developments, significant industry advances, active participation in TAB – 2014 Honoree: Larry Safir
- Broadcaster of the Year – Owner or full-time employee of a TAB member station (limit of one), emphasis on achievements in the past year, example to others in broadcasting – 2014 Honoree: Tom Ehlmann
- George Marti Award for Engineering Excellence – Individual’s excellence and innovation in broadcast engineering for a Texas broadcast station, development of new technology, leadership in education, contributions to industry technical standards – 2014 Honoree: Jack Sellmeyer
- Associate of the Year – Employee or owner of TAB Associate Member firm, helps broadcasters further industry goals – Most Recent Honoree: Dick Pickens
- Educator of the Year – Dedication to the industry, active participation in TAB, nominated by Texas Association of Broadcast Educators – 2014 Honoree: Dr. Sam Sauls
- Steve Pieringer Award – Outstanding valor in news coverage, exemplary display of news reporting, exceeding normal call of duty – Most Recent Honoree: Will Ripley
« Back to Latest News