Location: Bryan, TX
Contact Name: EEO Offier
KBTX is looking for a motivated feature reporter to join our award-winning news team.
In this position, you’ll showcase heartwarming, inspiring, outrageous and unusual stories from across the Brazos Valley. An ideal candidate will be comfortable independently enterprising content and use their storytelling skills to offer meaningful context relating feature stories to issues affecting the community.
Bryan-College Station is also home to Texas A&M, the nation’s largest university and an SEC sports powerhouse. As the Official Aggie Sports Station, KBTX's coverage of Texas A&M is 24/7! KBTX offers unmatched opportunities to profile team members, tell exclusive stories and travel with teams. You’ll also take an active role in producing our EMMY-winning live Aggie football pregame show, Aggie Gameday. You’re joining a team of exceptional journalists that are committed to our community and work to make it better, both on and off camera. This high-energy, high-expectations position will offer a motivated reporter the chance to shape their own role. KBTX’s feature reporter should demonstrate solid news judgment and storytelling abilities, with a passion for delivering original, imaginative content every day. A dynamic personality, comfort in live television reporting and a positive, compelling attitude are essential for this role.
A successful candidate will handle both feature reporting and breaking news equally well, and be comfortable working closely with the KBTX sports team.
Essential responsibilities include, but are not limited, to:
• Identifying and enterprising relevant local feature stories, often with a thread connecting them to regional issues
• Researching and creating daily content for television, social and web platforms, including dynamic live shots and packages.
• Meeting daily and weekly deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
• Creating and facilitating working relationships with local business owners and community leaders.
• Developing feature franchise content, which may require travel and time outside of a standard workday.
• Taking an active role in seasonal KBTX productions including Aggie Gameday.
Candidates should also exhibit a good work ethic, strong people skills, the ability to be a team player and work flexibly. This position may require holiday work.
Two years of experience in a TV newsroom, as well as a college degree in broadcast journalism or a related field are expected. Experience with ENPS or Sony XPRI non-linear editing software is a big plus.