Location: Houston, TX
Contact Name: Waleska Rivera
- Responsible for coordinating and developing weather forecasts across multiple markets on a daily basis; accompanying computer graphics, delivering on-air weathercasts, and live weather reports from the field.
- Must be a newsroom leader who will manage a group pf meteorologist and works well with producers and technical staff to craft compelling weathercasts and weather-related stories for local markets.
- Must be detail-oriented and exceptionally well organized, have good people skills, a positive, can-do attitude, take initiative, be a problem-solver and be able to work in a team.
- Communicates critical weather information, especially during severe weather, to producers and other critical staff members to ensure a consistent and accurate message to viewers.
- Participates in story meetings.
- Able to identify problems and develop solutions.
- Must be able to adlib for extended periods of time.
- Ability to project a professional presence on television and adherence to clothing and appearance guidelines.
- Able to represent Univision Local Media at various speaking engagements.
- Proficiency in use of social media and other tools that require audience interaction.
- Keen attention to detail and must be able to work rapidly and accurately.
- Ability to anticipate situations, meet strict deadlines, organize and manage multiple priorities.
- Responsible for hiring, leading, developing and managing the performance by those reporting to this position.
- Demonstrate enthusiasm in dealing with breaking news and high-stress situations.
Required Skills & Experience
- Bachelor's degree in Meteorology, Atmospheric Science and 5-10 years related work experience preferably as on-air weathercast
- Excellent and grammatically accurate Spanish language skills both (written and oral)
- Bilingual - fluency in English and Spanish
- Thorough knowledge of all aspects of weather data interpretation and forecasting, including familiarity with computer hardware and software associated with such data retrieval and presentation
- High level of proficiency of TV weather graphics systems, newsroom software, general office computer software and basic non-linear editing systems
- Expertise with WSI weather system and graphics
- Strong understanding of news gathering ethical and legal issues
- Must be technically astute, highly organized and have a reputation for meeting deadlines.
- Genuine enthusiasm for work & a drive for excellence
- Proven experience using forecasting tools including Doppler Radar and Satellite Maps
- A certified Meteorologist with a CBM/NWA seal
Desired Skills & Experience
- Strong communication skills, particularly in the ability to interact with all levels of the organization and the public
- Ability to go on the field during inclement weather conditions
- Must be able to reconcile divergent demands of multiple parties under tight timelines
- Proven ability to collaborate within and outside assigned department and create an effective working environment for high traffic and/or potential stressful workloads
- Flexible to work any assigned shift, including evening, weekends, and holidays.
- Must possess and maintain a driver’s license, proof of insurance, and an excellent driving record.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 50 lbs. Hearing, vision, depth perception, and hand-to-eye coordination sufficient to perform job duties.
- Visual and auditory acuity necessary to operate equipment.
- Ability to tolerate temperature and weather extremes.
- Strength, stamina and coordination sufficient to perform job duties.
- Must be willing to work from office in Houston, TX
- Employment/education will be verified
- Must have unrestricted authorization to work in the United States
Please apply on our Univision Careers Webpage:
About Univision Communications Inc.
Univision Communications Inc. (UCI) is a top-tier multimedia company with 17 broadcast, cable and digital networks; 59 TV stations; 67 radio stations; online and mobile apps, products and content creation facilities. UCI focuses on delivering a branded experience everywhere its audience is, reaching 89 million unduplicated consumers monthly across its portfolio. As a mission-driven Company, UCI is committed to informing, entertaining and empowering Hispanic America.
Univision Communications Inc. (UCI) en una empresa multimedia del más alto nivel, con 17 cadenas de televisión de señal abierta, por cable y digital; 59 estaciones de TV; 67 emisoras de radio; aplicaciones en línea y para dispositivos móviles, productos y sedes para creación de contenido. UCI se centra en ofrecer una experiencia con la marca dondequiera que esté su audiencia, alcanzando a más de 89M de consumidores mensuales en todas las plataformas. Como Compañía impulsada por una misión, UCI se centra en informar, entretener y empoderar a la comunidad hispana en los Estados Unidos.
For more information, please visit www.Univision.net.
Univision is an Equal Opportunity Employer including Vets and Disabled