News Anchor / ReporterKAKW-TV
Location: Austin, TX
Contact Name: Univision Austin
KAKW TV 62 in Austin, Texas, has an immediate opening for a full-time Anchor position. This position will be responsible for anchoring our newscasts. This journalist should have strong writing and producing skills by writing and presenting accurate, balanced news stories and anchoring for the station’s newscasts. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to: writing, investigating, daily newsgathering, and reporting as well as appearances at community and station events in a fast-paced, extremely competitive market.
• Produce and report news stories using ENG equipment, non-linear editing equipment, and related broadcasting equipment and newsroom computer systems.
• Write and proofread copy for accuracy prior to going on air.
• Research, investigate, interview, write, produce and report daily news packages, special news series or weather-related stories on tape and/or live from the field.
• Research, investigate, interview, write, produce and present news or weather-related reports for station’s social media pages, other company broadcasts, websites and printed publications as assigned.
• Work well with P2 and XD cameras to shoot interviews
• Establish a good working-relationship with newscast producers and co-anchors to ensure a well-paced, accurate and informative broadcast.
• Must be a strong and fast writer and have solid news judgment as a Producer.
• Attend and participate in off-site company-sponsored and community events as assigned by station management.
• Work flexible hours, including holidays, weekends and evenings.
Required Skills & Experience
• High school diploma required
• Must be fully bilingual in English and Spanish. Written and oral communication skills required
• Must have working knowledge of television news photography and technology
• Must be able to shoot with P2 and XD Cameras, and edit under deadline pressure
• Must have and maintain a good driving record and a valid driver’s license, along with the ability to drive daily
Desired Skills & Experience
• College degree in Journalism, Communication Studies, Radio-TV-Film, or equivalent experience
• Broadcast news experience as reporter or photographer/editor
• Prior experience in Spanish language broadcasting
• Personal computer experience required, including non-linear editing equipment
• Must be able to multi-task, work well under extreme pressure, and communicate effectively
• Must be willing to work from office in Austin
• Employment/education will be verified
• Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis
• Must be able to lift and carry broadcast video equipment (approximately 45 pounds), and have manual dexterity in use of keyboard, video editing equipment (linear and non-linear) video machines, server-based video editing and playback systems and broadcast equipment
Univision requires that all U.S. and Puerto Rico employees be vaccinated against COVID-19. This position will require the successful candidate to submit proof of vaccination. The Company is an equal opportunity employer, and will reasonably accommodate a qualified candidate, who may be unable to be vaccinated, consistent with federal, state, and local law.
Univision is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.